Follow The Story from the Beginning

Follow the Story from the Beginning
This story was partly written and partly recorded by The Captain. It's told in Chapters. To read the story in the order it's told, start with the first Chapter by using the Archive list in the right column. When you catch up, you can sign up to get a notice each time a new chapter is posted.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Chapter 4 I'll Enlist If I can Be A Pilot

I first tried to enlist in the Army Air Corps at Randolph Air Force Base in Universal City, northeast of San Antonio, in late 1940. Randolph Field was a training base for pilots, so it seemed like the best place to go to enlist. When I got there I found out they were only accepting guys applying to be Mechanics or Medical personnel. Because I only wanted to be a pilot I decided not to enlist.

Two weeks later I reconsidered. I knew enough about fixing machinery that I decided to go back to Randolph and enlist as a mechanic. At least I’d learn how to fix airplanes and I thought that might be a good thing for a pilot to know. When I got there they didn’t need mechanics anymore. I still didn’t want to be a Medic, so again I didn’t enlist. The cotton season was over and jobs were hard to come by. I hitch-hiked to a small Texas town, Girvin, which was about 300 miles northwest of San Antonio. It was a couple of miles west of the Pecos river, where my oldest brother ran a nearby cattle ranch. I spent the winter as a cowboy helping him out on the ranch.

No comments: